5.11.2011

Why won't my tomatoes grow?!

My mom was in town a few weeks ago and she planted me the prettiest garden for my back porch/patio. I've got a cute little herb garden with chives, parsley, hot peppers (although my husband hasn't been brave enough to try one yet), and basil, a tomato plant, a pepper plant, two containers impatiens, and a bucket of lantanas. My lantanas are growing like crazy which is great since they attract butterflies and those are my favorite. And my herbs are also overflowing and we've been using them to make homemade pizzas, on potatos, and other dishes. But my tomatos and peppers are suffering big time! I water them everyday and they are in plenty of sun. I can't say that it's been too hot just yet - probably 80's and nice for most of the time, although we did have some storms. It just looks like the poor thing is suffering.

I did some research online about how to grow your own tomato plants - and it suggested a larger container for the tomatos so they could really root into the soil as well as plenty of fertilizer. I did fertilize them when I first got them, but I'm thinking about picking up some different plant food to help it out a litte. Any other suggestions?! I really don't want them to die. I definitely do not have a green thumb!

3 comments:

  1. I must see your garden Jaime, it sounds lovely!

    As for your tomatoes, the size container you need depends on the type of tomato plant you have. There are so many varieties and hybrids. You didn't happen to save the label, did you? I would try re-potting it in a bigger container (biggest you've got...a 5 gallon might work)and bury the base of the plant on its side. No joke! Bury it sideways and the plant will usually thrive. Last year I had plenty of tomatoes for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had written a long comment to this post. But, I guess the Blogger upgrade deleted it?! Boo! Well, I do have advice, but I would love to see your garden in person! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought two huge tubs from Home Depot and plan on transplanting them today. Hopefully that will help save them! Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete