8.11.2012

what an accomplishment.

Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in life.

Well, hey. I'm all caught up! That's a friggen accomplishment in my book. No, but seriously, as I sit here at type this from my phone, I feel accomplished. Most recently, breastfeeding my son has made me feel a sense of accomplishment that truly makes me more confidant in myself as a parent.

I am a firm believer that your support system and conviction in yourself will have a direct effect on your success with breastfeeding. Not that there is anything wrong with formula feeding or even supplementing a half and half style... Breastfeeding is hard and it's not for everyone! For me, I gave birth via c-section and think that it made starting to breastfeed that much harder. I had a hungry baby in my arms but a body that I don't think knew it had birthed a baby and hadn't started producing milk, sore nipples from poor latch/improper positioning multiplied by the fact that I couldn't sit up or move without feeling my incision site... Yea... There are a lot of hurdles to overcome before you can get to the point of exclusively breastfeeding. But I knew before I have birth to KC, I wanted to breastfeed him for at least 6 months to a year. Four months later, we're still overcoming new hurdles with nipple confusion, Drs who don't support my decision to EBF, and figuring out exactly how much you need in your bottles each day while I'm away at work. Pumping is a chore; there's no doubt about that. But, for you, I'm doing it and I feel awesome about that! I hope a year from now, I can look at this post and maybe even still be breastfeeding you. There are proven benefits to breastfeeding and even if it kills my breasts right now, even if you start biting me in a few months (oh, please don't do that), I'm still going to work at this and find a solution. We've already made it through the first 4 months, (wow, time flies!) and that is quite an accomplishment for the both of us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment